Friday, August 21, 2026

Peggy's Journey: Finding Faith and Community

My faith journey blossomed the day I walked into St Matthew’s.

I had been looking for a church since my move to Alabama. I had made a promise to God on my drive over and even prior to my move to Alabama that I would now slow down and seek out a church where I could give myself the peace and satisfaction that a home church could give. In prayer, I had asked God to please help me with that task. By asking for God’s help, I knew it would happen in his time. Plus, you don’t make a promise to God without following through, right?

Shortly after moving into our new home, I had to go to the post office on Hughes Road to file our new address information. The blue St. Matthew’s sign on Hughes Road caught my attention as I was driving by. "Hmmm, there’s a thought," I said out loud to myself. I was familiar with the Episcopal religion but never attended a service. My faith background included Catholic and Southern Baptist, though I was never baptized into either. I guess you could say I was more Catholic than anything, just never baptized though I did attend Catholic church. Overall, I considered myself a Christian, just never slowed down enough to do the things that would solidify that choice, until now. My brother-in-law had landed at an Episcopal church even though his background was Catholic, and he had studied to be a Jesuit Catholic priest. He met my sister-in-law. Things changed. I had a lot of respect for my brother-in-law. He later became an Episcopalian priest in DC. Perhaps the Episcopal religion was the place for me? I needed to know more. Regrettably, my brother-in-law passed away before I could seek his counsel on the topic.

That little voice in the back of my mind was telling me to call the church with the blue sign. I called St. Matthew’s and made an appointment to visit. The day of my visit was a lovely sunny day. After meeting with the priest, I asked to see the inside of the church. Something special happened when I walked through the doors into the Sanctuary. As if on cue, the light was shining through the beautiful stained-glass windows. The church had a warm, peaceful quiet that touched my heart. I honestly felt the peace that the congregation had left inside. Without going further, I knew that I was finally home. I turned to the priest and asked for service times and for reference material to help introduce me to the Episcopal religion. I was handed the Episcopal Handbook (great resource that you can find on Amazon) and my journey began. I took the book home and read it cover to cover. There it was in black and white; this was what I had been missing in my life, and what I needed and wanted in my life. I attended church the following Sunday. I was so glad I did. There I saw and felt the warmth and love that the congregation easily shared. Yes, this was it. I was home. I enrolled in training on the Episcopal religion which was followed by baptism and later confirmation.

God does answer our prayers. I honor him by singing in the choir, serving on the Altar Guild, serving on the Vestry, and participating in Christian practices where our church gives back to others. What a fulfilling life it is. As a friend often says when speaking about St. Matthew’s, “I love my church”. I do, too. St. Matthew’s and our parishioners are my extended like-minded family. Individual in their own ways, and all sharing in the love of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peggy's Journey: Finding Faith and Community

My faith journey blossomed the day I walked into St Matthew’s. I had been looking for a church since my move to Alabama. I had made a promis...